The 10:10 global campaign is taking a lot of heat for its extremely violent and controversial PSA. Although it encourages people to cut their carbon emissions by 10% each year anyway they can, it sends the horrific message to those who do nothing.
Under the deceptively easy-going slogan "No Pressure," the 10:10 global campaign shows children and adults being gorily blown up if they don't show support to the climate change cause. According to Fast Company, "The violent nature of the video so incensed Sony U.K. that the company dropped all support for the campaign."
The 10:10 Global Campaign Features Horrific Exploding Children
1. Gory Psas - There is a market for shock tactics in advertising that draw attention to important issues.
2. Environmentalism Marketing - Marketing campaigns that use fear may need to be balanced with messaging that provides hope and solutions for addressing climate change.
3. Corporate Social Responsibility - Companies may need to carefully vet partnerships with non-profits to ensure their activism aligns with their brand values and will resonate with their customer base.
1. Advertising - There is an opportunity for advertising agencies to create memorable campaigns that raise awareness while still being socially responsible.
2. Environmental Non-profits - Non-profits may need to consider the potential backlash and unintended consequences of provocative marketing initiatives.
3. Consumer Brands - Consumer brands may need to conduct market research to determine whether or not the activism they're partnering with is in line with their brand messaging and customer beliefs.