The Tolbiac by French company Cinna adds a modern twist to traditional bookcases. Visually distorted with one side angled unlike the other, the Tolbiac book shelf creates a mini staircase. The confusing design integrates slanted boards so that when assembled, one side is lopsided.
From a side view, one side of the Tolbiac is sloped near the ground. This staircase-like design is more so for the visual appearance of being in an old-fashioned library, reminiscent of the times wall book shelves required ladders.
This library wall fixture is a modern way to reminisce of classic furniture. Though its ad photos have a child standing on one of the steps of the bookcase, Cinna advises the lop-sided design was purely meant for aesthetics purposes.
The Tolbiac Plays Around with Dimensions to Create Ambience
1. Asymmetrical Bookcases - Designing bookcases with asymmetrical shapes can create a visually appealing look.
2. Staircase-shaped Bookcases - Creating staircase-shaped bookcases can provide a vintage touch to modern furniture designs.
3. Distorted Furniture Designs - Designing furniture with visually distorted shapes can make the space more interesting and dynamic.
1. Furniture Industry - The furniture industry could explore unique shapes and designs that can set them apart from traditional furniture designs.
2. Interior Design Industry - Interior designers may find the asymmetry of bookshelves and other furniture a design challenge to overcome.
3. Architecture Industry - The Architecture industry may find creatively designed furniture can add a unique design aesthetic to the overall building design.