Designed by Italdesign, the WheeM-i -- short for Wheelchair Mobility Integration -- proposes the first-ever shared micro-mobility service for wheelchair users. The 100% electric and semi-autonomous carrier provides people with mobility restrictions the freedom to access otherwise hard-to-get-to locations around the city.
The new mobility solution brings the latest driving assistance technology and electric propulsion together. The WheeM-i is a collaboration between Italedsign and Etisalat. The companies joined forces to allow users to book their rides through a smartphone app and map out the best possible route.
After booking a ride, users can make their way to the closest hub and get on board the vehicle. Once they've arrived at their destination, users can return the vehicle to a hub near their destination.
Image Credit: Yanko Design
The WheeM-i Lets Users Book their Rides Through an App
1. Electric Wheelchair Ride-sharing - The rise of electric wheelchair ride-sharing services will create new opportunities for people with mobility restrictions in urban areas.
2. Micro-mobility Solutions - Micro-mobility solutions such as the WheeM-i will continue to gain popularity and address the need for more accessible transportation options in urban areas.
3. Mobility Assistance Technology - The integration of mobility assistance technology and electric propulsion has the potential to revolutionize accessible transportation and improve the quality of life for many people.
1. Transportation - The transportation industry has an opportunity to invest in and provide more accessible options for people with mobility restrictions, including electric wheelchair ride-sharing services.
2. Technology - There is potential for technology companies to innovate and improve mobility assistance technology, making it more widely available and accessible.
3. Mobility Services - The rise of electric wheelchair ride-sharing services presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies in the mobility services industry to expand their offerings and address the needs of a previously underserved market.