Dutch studio MVRDV renovated a neoclassical chapel into the main entrance for The Stedelijk Museum Schiedam, a modern art museum located in Schiedam, the Netherlands. Formerly, the museum's entrance was located in a basement that was difficult to navigate. The renovation of the chapel, which was built by Italian architect Jan Giudici in 1787, gives new purpose to an otherwise neglected space, making the entrance more obvious.
The architects were responsible for adding the bright red shelves, brightening up the somberly classic space. The shelves, which cover one full-height wall and all of the surrounding lower walls, incorporate the reception, cloakroom and cafe counter.
MVRDV co-founder Nathalie de Vries explains, "With one clear and monumental gesture, we have combined many functions whilst at the same time keeping the space as open and usable as possible."