Mobikasi is a mobile documentary about youth culture in the township of Soweto, South Africa. All the clips are geo-tagged to a location so you can explore real places in Soweto via your phone.
Mobikasi can be accessed through a SA mobile social network called The Grid.
The content features interesting people, spaces, culture and social issues that the Sowetan youth encounter. For example, one of the groups interviewed are the Smarteez, a fashion crew that design their own clothes, dress up, and battle other fashion posses. In a recent competition, they were named the best dressed crew in Johannesburg.
Also featured is a pantsula dance crew called FGD, a carwash that is a huge social event, a hot spot called Panyaza, fashion designers named Thesis, mallrats at Maponya Mall, a hair braider talking about the latest styles, beats from a young rapper called Vikindukn, producer Hempza and much more.
Check it out!
A Virtual Trip to South Africa with ‘Mobikasi'
1. Geotagging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Using geotagging technology to enhance storytelling and create immersive experiences for mobile users.
2. Mobile Documentaries - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Leveraging mobile platforms to deliver documentary content and engage audiences in new and interactive ways.
3. Youth Culture Exploration - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing platforms that allow users to explore and understand different youth cultures around the world through immersive digital experiences.
1. Mobile Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrating geotagging features into mobile applications to enhance content discovery and user engagement.
2. Entertainment - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating interactive and location-based entertainment experiences, such as geotagged documentaries, to attract and captivate audiences.
3. Social Networking - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporating geotagging capabilities into social networking platforms to enable users to share and explore location-specific content, fostering connections and cultural understanding.