Skype for Web is, as the name suggests, a web browser-oriented version of the popular video telecommunications software. Microsoft, which owns Skype, announced a beta version of the program that is currently available on an invitation-only basis and for select browsers. It will be rolled out more widely in the coming months.
Skype for Web will allow users to log into their Skype accounts online and access all the instant messaging, voice chat and video chat functions of Skype without having to download the software or desktop app.
Skype for Web will be compatible with Internet Explorer 10 or later, Safari 6 or later as well as the newest versions of Chrome and Firefox.
The service will initially require a plug-in to work, but the long term goal is to have it working without a plug-in.
Skype For Web Will Allow You To Skype Through Your Web Browser
1. Web-based Video Communications - Developing a web browser version of popular video telecommunications software offers disruptive innovation opportunities in making the service more accessible to those who can't or won't download desktop apps.
2. Plug-in-free Video Calling - Skype for Web aims to work without requiring any plug-in, offering disruptive innovation opportunities in addressing security concerns and allowing easy access to the service.
3. Web Browser Plug-in Integration - As Skype for Web initially requires a plug-in, this presents disruptive innovation opportunities for browser developers and plug-in providers to optimize and extend the offering for better experience.
1. Online Communication - Skype for Web’s browser-based approach offers an excellent disruptive innovation opportunity in serving the online communication industry with innovation and cost-saving technologies.
2. Web Browsers - Skype for Web's introduction provides disruptive innovation opportunities for web browsers by providing new plug-in integration opportunities and better user experiences.
3. Plug-in Providers - Skype for Web's reliance on plug-ins creates disruptive innovation opportunities for plugin providers to create more secure, faster, and more efficient plugins.