SightCompass uses Beacon technology to make any environment accessible for the visually impaired.
The apparatus operates using Bluetooth Low Energy Beacons, which send and receive information to help the app user navigate their surroundings. This could be anything from describing a room layout to listing items off of a menu. The app works in conjunction with mobile screen-reading apps, so that all the information can be repeated via audio output.
The app will notify the user when they are in a SightCompass-enabled environment. The beacons will then map out the environment for the user, helping to maneuver them around any obstacles they might encounter. The tool, which is currently looking for funding via Kickstarter campaign, is also helpful for people who experience learning challenges, anxiety afflictions, dyslexia or are hard of hearing.
Sightcompass is a Beacon Tool for the Visually Impaired
1. Beacon Navigation Technology - Beacon technology is revolutionizing accessibility for the visually impaired, providing disruptive innovation opportunities for navigation and mapping tools.
2. Bluetooth Low Energy Technology - Bluetooth Low Energy technology is being used in novel ways to create innovative tools for accessibility and alternative navigation solutions.
3. Screen-reading Apps - Screen-reading apps are increasingly becoming an essential tool for those with visual impairments, and offer opportunities for integration and cross-application development.
1. Accessibility Technology - The accessibility technology industry has been given new life and opportunities for growth with the use of beacon and screen-reading technology for navigation and accessibility tools.
2. Navigation and Mapping Tools - Navigation and mapping tool developers have the opportunity to incorporate beacon technology and integrate with screen-reading apps to create more inclusive and comprehensive products.
3. Assistive Technologies - Assistive technology industries now have the potential to reach new markets and applications with beacon-assisted accessibility tools that provide assistance for people with varying disabilities and challenges.