Researchers based out of Harvard University have developed a pair of robotic shorts, that will assist the wearer with both walking and running. The new robotic shorts will make the wearer feel much lighter when moving. The entire system weighs 11 pounds and sits on the user's lower back. The researchers indicate that the shorts could be utilized by anyone who may need assistance traveling long distances.
The system operates by using motors that sit on a person's lower back. The motors attach to the person's thighs and aid the muscles in producing power. The battery is able to power the robotic shorts for a range of 5 miles. The researchers from the project are also developing a new edition that will be lighter.
Image Credit: Wyss Institute at Harvard University
Researchers Have Developed Robotic Shorts for Both Walking and Running
1. Movement-assisting Exosuits - Exosuits are a disruptive innovation opportunity for the healthcare and mobility industries.
2. Robot-assisted Human Mobility - Robot-assisted mobility is a disruptive trend for the healthcare and personal assistance industries.
3. Wearable Robotics - Wearable robotics is a disruptive innovation opportunity for the fashion and fitness industries.
1. Healthcare - Healthcare is an industry that can benefit from the advancements of movement-assisting exosuits.
2. Mobility - The mobility industry is a sector that can benefit from the development of new movement-assisting exosuits.
3. Fashion - The fashion industry is disrupted by the trend of wearable robotics, which could include movement-assisting exosuits.