This is the very retro Sunball lounge chair, circa 1969.
The spherical lounge chair was designed by Ris and Selldorf against the backdrop of a counterculture movement that gave us Woodstock, the Vietnam war and the concomitant massive protests of the anti-war movement, women's liberation and sex, drugs and rock and roll.
Bornrich creates a rather amusing scenario around the Sunball that envisions hippies cavorting and getting stoned out of their skull while plopped on the chair. Maybe so, but the Sunball looks extremely comfortable to me, even though canary yellow is not the color I would have chosen.
The chair is made out of lacquered fiberglass, reinforced polyester, ABS plastic, aluminum and fabric and it is priced at $60,000.
Ris and Selldorf Sunball
1. Retro-inspired Furniture - The counterculture movement may inspire a renewed interest in furniture designs from the 1960s and 70s.
2. Luxury Lounge Chairs - Designers can create high-end lounge chairs out of unconventional materials to stand out in the market.
3. Reimagined Nostalgia - Designers can create new iterations of classic designs from the past to appeal to modern consumers.
1. Furniture Design - Furniture designers can draw inspiration from the past to create unique and innovative pieces for contemporary settings.
2. Luxury Goods - High-end lounge chairs made from unconventional materials can appeal to consumers looking for luxurious and unique pieces.
3. Home Decor - Reimagined designs can add character to a space while also serving a functional purpose.