Renault is honoring its retro cars from the 1980s by re-releasing the 'R5 Turbo.' The 2022 revision of the R5 Turbo, though, opts for an electric drivetrain to replace the original 1.4-L ICE. The modern iteration of the R5 Turbo, to avoid confusion, is titled the 'R5 Turbo 3E.'
The R5 Turbo 3E features dual electric motors, with one motor connected to either side of the rear axel. When combined, both motors output a total of 375 horsepower measured at the rear axel. In terms of real-world performance, the R5 Turbo 3E achieves a top speed of 124 miles per hour and an acceleration of 0-62 in just 3.5 seconds, which is quick even for an electric car.
On the range and battery side, Renault stated that the vehicle is powered by a 42 kilowatt-hour battery. However, the company did not make claims on range or longevity, as the company has yet to officially announce the detailed specifications of the vehicle. The Renault R5 Turbo 3E is set to be unveiled at the 2022 Chantilly Arts & Elegance contest.
Image Credit: Renault
Renault Re-Launched its R5 Turbo with an Electric Drivetrain
1. Retro Car Electric Re-launches - There are many possible opportunities to re-launch retro cars with electric drivetrains, combining nostalgia with cutting-edge technology.
2. Dual Electric Motors - More efficient dual-motor electric vehicles will be developed, reducing drag and improving performance.
3. Electric Sports Cars - The rise of electric sports cars, such as the Renault R5 Turbo 3E, will disrupt the market and provide new exciting driving experiences.
1. Automotive Industry - The automotive industry can take advantage of the trend by launching similar electric retro cars with advanced specs to cater to the niche audience.
2. Electric Car Manufacturing - Manufacturers of electric cars can explore advanced electric motors to improve performance and cater to consumers who are looking for more powerful performance in electric sports cars.
3. Electric Vehicle Batteries - The development of more efficient batteries could have a significant impact on the performance and range of electric sports cars, resulting in more exciting driving experiences.