The portal gun from the Portal franchise may be one of the most iconic video game weapon symbols across all platforms. While the weapon itself isn't dangerous in game, it does have an intricate and interesting design to it.
Redditor Pastlightspeed put together her very own portal gun for a cosplay she was doing. Pastlightspeed was playing Chel from the game and as such needed a portal gun sidearm to complete the set. Contrary to popular belief, these guns are not sold on every street corner so she had to get crafty. Her homemade portal gun is made of cardboard and costed her less than $10 to make. Given the circumstances and the detailed and accurate design to it, this price tag is more than impressive.
The Portal Gun Pays Homage to One of the Biggest Game Franshises
1. Homemade Cosplay Weapons - There is potential for a market where people can buy customizable inexpensive components to make their own cosplay weapons.
2. 3D Printing for Movie Prop Design - 3D printing can be utilized to cheaply manufacture realistic movie prop weapons like those seen in the Portal franchise.
3. Rising Demand for Video Game Replicas - As more people become interested in video games, there is an opportunity for a market for inexpensive replicas of recognizable video game objects.
1. Cosplay Manufacturing - Manufacturing companies can target the cosplay community to design and produce affordable, customizable cosplay weapon components.
2. Movie Prop Manufacturing - Companies that specialize in manufacturing movie props can incorporate 3D printing to create realistic video game inspired weapons at a fraction of the cost.
3. Video Game Memorabilia - As video games become more mainstream, companies can benefit by providing inexpensive replicas of in-game items and weapons, targeting new audiences of gamers.