Bringing watch faces to their simplest form, designers Maxim Mezentsev and Aleksander Suhih created the 'Pixel Clock.' The sleek wristwatch blends digital and analog features in a retro fashion. Using magnified blocks, the Pixel Clock shows you the time. As time marches forward, the watch's digital pixels shift along a faintly checkered background.
In order to keep the watch as simple as possible, Mezentsev and Suhih kept the time-keeping system extremely minimalist. A pixel moves along the watch's outer ring to indicate minutes while a pixel in an inner ring indicates hours. The virtual blocks move just like regular clock hands would. In the center, a solitary block blinks along with the seconds. To encapsulate the pixels, the watch itself was molded into a black square.
The 'Pixel Clock' Replaces Clock Hands with Pixels
1. Retro Timepiece Design - Opportunity for creating nostalgic-looking watches that blend digital and analog features.
2. Minimalist Watch Design - Disruptive potential in simplifying time-keeping systems using a pixelated display.
3. Pixelated Fashion Accessories - Emerging trend of incorporating pixel art into wearable items.
1. Watchmaking - Opportunity for watch manufacturers to explore retro-inspired designs with pixelated displays.
2. Fashion Accessories - Disruptive innovation in developing fashion accessories that incorporate pixel art aesthetics.
3. Design and Consumer Electronics - Potential for collaboration in integrating retro pixelated designs into electronic devices.