What happens when you outsource your copywriting to a country where English isn't the first language? You get classics like this from Gaviscon, an antacid treatment for digestive problems: â€œIt's like a fireman came in your mouth.â€
Add the perfect illustration of a fireman shooting their milky substance and it works. I've re-arranged the order of the photos for even more fun.
Implications - Advertisement campaigns that are seen using sexual innuendos (whether it is intentional or not) manage to gain free publicity. Advertisements such as the Gaviscon commercial have proven memorability in recall and also have a greater chance at going viral via social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter.
Gaviscon Ad Released With Unintentional Double-Entendre
1. Outsourcing Language-specific Services - Companies outsourcing language-specific services such as copywriting need to ensure that the copy is appropriate and does not contain cultural nuances that could offend or negatively impact the brand.
2. Controversial Advertisements - Advertisements that are seen as controversial and use sexual innuendos, whether intentional or not, can gain free publicity and have a greater chance of going viral via social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter.
3. Recall and Memorability in Advertisements - Ad campaigns that are memorable due to controversial or humorous content have a greater chance of being recalled by consumers and can have a positive impact on brand recall and loyalty.
1. Advertising - Advertising agencies need to carefully review copy and campaigns to ensure that they are culturally appropriate and do not contain controversial or offensive content that could negatively impact the brand.
2. Language Services - Companies offering language-specific services such as copywriting need to ensure that their staff are proficient in the language and culture of the target audience.
3. Social Media - Social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter can be used to amplify controversial or humorous ad content, making it more likely to go viral and reach a wider audience.