Japanese retailer Isetan Shinjuku collaborated with prominent Japanese designers to release a line of reinvented men's kimonos for the Summer 2012 collection. Designers include UNDERCOVER, PORTER, WACKO MARIA, PHENOMENON and White Mountaineering among others.
Creatively making use of print, pattern, color and cut, these men's kimonos occupy an interesting space between casual and formal. Many of the garments are paired with casual caps, yet the history and cut of the kimono gives it an undeniable formality. Ultimately, these kimonos can be worn anywhere, as long as you have the confidence to pull it off.
Given how hip and on-point these designs are, it makes me question why the kimono never caught on in Western culture. The design possibilities for modern menswear, casual and formal are almost endless. Isetan Shinjuku has only scratched the surface with this line of men's kimonos, and hopefully there will be more to come.
Isetan Shinjuku and Japanese Designers Create Hip Men's Kimonos
1. Reinvented Kimonos - There is an opportunity for designers to continue to reinvent the traditional kimono with a modern twist for men's fashion that appeals to a wider audience.
2. Casual-formal Attire - Clothing that straddles both casual and formal wear provides an opportunity for fashion brands to create versatile clothing options.
3. Cultural Fashion Fusion - There is a potential trend to blend traditional clothing with modern influences, creating exciting and unique fashion pieces that draw on cultural heritage.
1. Fashion - The fashion industry can explore disruptive innovations by merging traditional clothing with modern influences, creating inclusive and original designs.
2. Retail - The retail industry can disrupt the market by creating versatile clothing options, straddling both casual and formal attire, that appeal to a wider audience.
3. Textile Manufacturing - Producers of textiles and fabrics can explore innovative production methods to create custom prints and patterns to cater to the demand of reinventing traditional clothing with a modern edge.