IKEA's 'Let's Relax' commercial was created by the affordable furniture brand to remind consumers that its products are meant to facilitate a free-spirited and functional atmosphere rather than a contrived image of perfection.
With this, the ad combats the habit that its Millennial consumers have of documenting everything that they do on social media -- making others believe that they have to meet extravagant expectations in their everyday lives. Let's Relax does this by showing a Victorian era family sitting down to a meal, which the father insists on documenting by hiring a painter before anyone is allowed to eat.
Once finished, the painting is rushed off to be viewed by the rest of the community, who all cheer at the beauty of the feast.
'Let's Relax' by IKEA Reminds That Furniture is Meant to Be Functional
1. Authentic Living - Furniture brands can capitalize on the trend of promoting authentic living spaces to combat the pressure of social media perfection.
2. Functional Focus - The furniture industry can embrace functional design to cater to consumers seeking practicality in their homes.
3. Anti-perfection Movement - There is an opportunity for brands to tap into the anti-perfection movement and emphasize the importance of embracing imperfections through their furniture ads.
1. Furniture - The furniture industry can leverage the trend of promoting authentic living spaces to engage with consumers.
2. Social Media - The social media industry can explore campaigns that encourage users to embrace imperfections and focus on the authentic moments in life.
3. Advertising - Advertisers have the opportunity to create campaigns that combat the pressure of documenting perfect lives on social media and promote the benefits of functional living.