The Lanterns of Terracotta Army is a striking art installation created to celebrate Chinese New Year, which took place on January 31, 2014. It is made up of classic Chinese warrior statues with a not-so-classic twist. In place of stone, or whatever other material these sculptures would typically be made out of, they are fashioned out of colored rice paper and wires to mimic the aesthetic of traditional Chinese lanterns.
Created by Chinese artist Xia Nan, the Lanterns of Terracotta Army is made up of 90 sculptures, all of which are on display at the Edinburgh University Old College Quadrangle. Interestingly, the installation doesn't just include men, but horses, women and children as well. The Lanterns of Terracotta Army installation was inspired by the famous Terracotta Army.
The Lanterns of Terracotta Army Celebrates Chinese New Year
1. Chinese New Year Celebrations - The Lanterns of Terracotta Army art installation showcases the potential for using traditional Chinese cultural symbols and techniques in celebratory events, offering opportunities to create immersive and visually striking experiences.
2. Alternative Material Sculptures - The use of colored rice paper and wires instead of traditional materials in the Lanterns of Terracotta Army highlights the potential for creating unconventional and eco-friendly sculptures, presenting possibilities for sustainable art installations.
3. Mixing Traditional and Contemporary Art - The fusion of classic Chinese warrior statues with the aesthetics of traditional Chinese lanterns in the Lanterns of Terracotta Army reflects the potential for artists to blend elements of different art forms to create innovative and visually captivating artworks.
1. Art and Sculpture - Artists and sculptors can explore the use of non-traditional materials and cultural fusion techniques, as showcased by the Lanterns of Terracotta Army, to create unique and culturally rich artworks.
2. Event Planning and Decor - Event planners and decorators can draw inspiration from the Lanterns of Terracotta Army art installation to design immersive and visually stunning experiences by incorporating elements of traditional Chinese culture in their event decor.
3. Sustainable Design - The use of eco-friendly materials like colored rice paper and wires in the Lanterns of Terracotta Army demonstrates the potential for sustainable design in various industries, encouraging the exploration of environmentally conscious alternatives in product development and architecture.