These dreamy depictions of confectioneries are the handiwork of fine artist Joel Penkman. The Lancashire-based artist decided this past summer to combine her love of food with her love of painting. The result is a series of cozy portraits of simple delicacies. Like the chefs whose work she immortalizes, Joel Penkman insists that everything involved be made from scratch; everything from her gresso to her paints are handmade.
Joel Penkman's work is startling, yet somehow familiar. Her lovingly rendered edible fantasies evoke a sense of soothing nostalgia. Understanding that food is intricately linked to memories and emotions, Joel Penkman presents her audience with subject matter that beckons the inner child. By playing to these unbidden emotional reactions, Joel Penkman gives her viewer the ability to directly transfer their own experiences onto her work. This type of engagement forges a much more intimate connection between audience and spectacle.
Well, Joel Penkman, you may be onto something big, because I'm feeling a seriously strong connection with that piece of Stilton.
Joel Penkman Makes Tummy Grumbling Visuals
1. Food Art - The trend of creating art from food or with food-inspired themes is disrupting traditional forms of art and expanding the range of mediums for artists.
2. Nostalgia Marketing - Employing nostalgic themes in marketing and advertising campaigns has become a disruptive tool for businesses to elicit emotional responses from consumers and forge intimate connections.
3. Handmade Craftsmanship - The trend of producing handmade goods, including materials, is disrupting the mass-produced industry by offering unique, one-of-a-kind products that appeal to consumers' desire for authenticity and quality.
1. Fine Art - The use of food-inspired themes and mediums in fine art is disrupting traditional art forms and expanding the realm of possibilities for artists to create novel, thought-provoking works.
2. Food and Beverage - The evocative power of food-inspired art and nostalgia marketing techniques can be leveraged by food and beverage companies to connect with consumers on a deeper, emotional level and increase brand loyalty.
3. Craft and Artisanal - The trend towards handmade craftsmanship in the arts and goods industry is disrupting traditional mass-production methods and presents opportunities for small businesses to offer unique, high-quality products.