The Gucci Aria collection for the AW21 season was created in partnership with Balenciaga and it celebrates Gucci turning 100 this year. The commemorative fashion collection has been described as more of a "hacking lab" than a true collaboration by Gucci’s creative director Alessandro Michele, as it takes elements from Gucci over the years and mashes them up with Balenciaga's style.
The Gucci AW21 Aria collection includes pieces like jackets, hats, blazers and plenty of references to the brand's history, such as branding that recalls hotel Guccio Gucci and "100" details that mark the brand's centennial.
The collection from the coveted luxury fashion house is accompanied by a collaborative playlist on Spotify and Apple Music that helps to capture the spirit of the high-profile collaboration.
Gucci Aria Was Made in Partnership with Balenciaga
1. Commemorative Fashion Collections - The trend of creating commemorative fashion collections in a collaborative manner continues to offer opportunities for designers to innovate by combining elements from multiple brands and eras.
2. Brand Mashups - Mashing up the styles of two or more iconic brands is a growing trend among fashion houses and could offer opportunities for designers to create disruptive innovations by merging seemingly disparate aesthetics.
3. Collaborative Playlists - Accompanying fashion collections with collaborative playlists on music streaming platforms is becoming more prevalent and could present opportunities for brands to engage with audiences in new ways.
1. Luxury Fashion - The luxury fashion industry can continue to capitalize on the trend of creating commemorative collections for milestone anniversaries by collaborating with other prominent brands to produce unique offerings that celebrate brand heritage.
2. Music Streaming - The music streaming industry could explore the opportunities presented by collaborations with fashion houses and brands to curate playlists that accompany fashion collections, bridging the divide between fashion and music and reaching new audiences.
3. Design Consulting - The trend of brand mashups and collaborative collections could present opportunities for design consulting firms to assist luxury fashion houses in finding ways to merge disparate aesthetics in fresh and innovative ways.