Certified by the FLO (Fairtrade Labelling Organizations), Fairhills Wines is a fair trade wine project and a collaboration between Origin Wine, Du Toitskloof Winery and the worker community. Du Toitskloof, one of South Africa's most esteemed vineyards, has 13 members and 21 participating farms.
Fairhills Wines sells its products across Europe, in the United States and most recently, in South Africa. Some of the Fairhills wine selections include Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Chenin Blanc and Merlot.
According to the Fairhills website, Fairhills Wines is one of the largest fair trade ventures in the world. Starting first in South Africa, Fairhills Wines continues to operate there but has also added Argentina and Chile to its list. Each undertaking has distinct social goals that range from day care centers to eco-tourism projects to retirement plans and sanitation facilities for the community.
Beyond these community-centric goals are also numerous larger-scale social aims that Fairhills is committed to, which involve big issues including education, transportation infrastructure and health. In terms of impact on the environment, Fairhill Wines incorporates sustainable farming practices. Fairhills Wines tries to hold true to its lofty motto of “change the world.” Everyone and everything involved in the making of the wine is given respect and care -- just like they should be.
Fairhills Wines website
Fairhills Wines on Twitter
Fairhills Wines on Facebook
Fairhills Wines is an Empowerment Project Started in South Africa
1. Fair Trade Wines - The trend of fair trade certification in the wine industry is providing opportunities for collaboration between vineyards and worker communities.
2. Sustainable Farming Practices - The adoption of sustainable farming practices by Fairhills Wines highlights the trend of environmentally conscious production in the wine industry.
3. Socially Responsible Goals - The trend of socially responsible goals in Fairhills Wines' undertakings shows a growing interest in business operations that focus on community and environmental impact.
1. Wine Production - Fair Trade certification and sustainable farming practices create disruptive innovation opportunities in the wine industry for vineyards looking to collaborate with worker communities and adopt environmentally-conscious production methods.
2. Social Responsibility Consulting - Fairhills Wines' focus on socially responsible goals in their operations and undertakings presents an opportunity for consulting services that specialize in helping businesses implement strategies focused on community and environmental impact.
3. Eco-tourism - Fairhills Wines' eco-tourism projects in South Africa, Argentina, and Chile demonstrate the potential for innovation in the tourism industry for businesses looking to incorporate socially responsible mission statements and initiatives.