The purveyors of the Anglo-Saxon tongue, the scholars of the English Oxford Dictionary, have mercifully chosen to canonize a handful of net words into the common vernacular. Rejoice! Finally, we have the freedom to say "retweet" without being chided by stricter Anglophones.
The English language has the distinction of being the fastest-growing language on the planet. As new technology and devices are incorporated into everyday life, Anglophones are quick to coin new phrases and use them prolifically. Among the new idioms inducted into the English Oxford Dictionary are sexting, cyberbullying, jeggings, and of course mankini, the male-only bikini made famous by Borat.
The current iteration of the dictionary includes 171,476 separate entries. This pattern of quickly inaugurating new words into the language is still new and expanding at an alarming speed. After all, Twitter was only launched in 2006 and we're already retweeting without fearing our stern English teachers.
The English Oxford Dictionary Officially Inducts Retweet, Sexting and Others
1. Net Words - The proliferation of net words inducted into the English Oxford Dictionary presents opportunities for businesses to create innovative marketing campaigns and products that cater to the digital age.
2. Language Evolution - The rapid growth of the English language and the inclusion of new idioms in the dictionary open doors for language learning platforms and translation services to adapt and offer resources for these emerging words.
3. Tech-inspired Vernacular - The incorporation of technology-related phrases in the dictionary signifies a need for tech companies to focus on creating user-friendly interfaces and intuitive products that align with the evolving language of their target audience.
1. Marketing & Advertising - The inclusion of net words in the English Oxford Dictionary provides opportunities for marketing and advertising professionals to create campaigns that resonate with the younger, tech-savvy demographic.
2. Education & Language Learning - The rapid expansion of the English language necessitates the development of language learning platforms and translation services to adapt and provide resources for the newly inducted idioms.
3. Technology & Software - The integration of tech-related phrases in the dictionary highlights the need for tech companies to prioritize user experience and design in order to effectively communicate with their audience using the evolving language.