'Choco' is a Berlin-based food-tech startup that aims to reduce food waste across the restaurant and supply industries by leveraging its first-party Choco software. The Choco software consolidates multiple sources of data into a single application, meaning it can incorporate the current inventory of restaurants, suppliers, and retailers, and determine which food items should go to which endpoint.
Choco stated that much of the food waste coming from the supplier and restaurant sides of the industry stems from communication barriers and unoptimized supply chains. Many restaurants over-order products to ensure that they have enough items for order rushes, while many suppliers are left with excess products that are close to their expiration date.
In addition to this, food is often wasted because restaurant owners maintain connections with a single set of suppliers, and never branch out from these suppliers. This means certain suppliers could offload more of certain items than necessary, whereas another supplier could easily fill this gap to level out inventories across the board.
The Choco software will solve these problems by simultaneously connecting the food service, food retailer, and food supplier industries on a platform that automates the optimal exchange of products.
Image Credit: Choco
Choco Seeks to Reduce Food Waste By Optimizing the Food Industry
1. Optimized Food Inventory - Food-tech startups can develop software like Choco to help restaurants and suppliers track and redistribute food inventory and decrease food waste
2. Automated Supply Chain Management - Automated supply chain management tools like Choco can enhance communication among all stakeholders and optimize supply chain processes
3. Smart Food Waste Reduction - The adoption of smart food waste reduction technology like Choco's system can help companies to reduce waste and achieve a more sustainable food system
1. Food Service - Food service companies can benefit from adopting Choco's software to provide better inventory management and connect with suppliers for a more streamlined supply chain
2. Food Retail - Food retailers can use Choco's software to optimize their inventory, eliminate over-purchasing, and streamline ordering and receiving processes
3. Food Supply - Food suppliers can benefit from Choco's software by connecting with more customers and reducing surplus inventory and waste