Verizon Wireless is jumping on the latest craze in the wireless world. You may have already heard of femtocells which are little boxes that boost cell phone coverage in homes.
Femtocells allow service providers to extend their coverage indoors, especially where access is limited or unavailable, like where I live out in the sticks. The real opportunity is for landline phone companies to bundle these femtocells with DSL.
French electronics maker, Thomson, is said to be building an Airvana femtocell into its DSL modem.
"Our plans are to deploy femtocells in 2008," Verizon Wireless' Chief Technology Officer, Tony Melone, said Wednesday at the CTIA Wireless industry show in Las Vegas.
1. Femtocells - Opportunity for telecommunications companies to leverage femtocells to improve indoor cell phone coverage.
2. Bundled Services - Opportunity for landline phone companies to bundle femtocells with DSL to provide comprehensive home coverage.
3. Integration of Femtocells - Opportunity for electronics manufacturers to integrate femtocells into existing devices, such as DSL modems.
1. Telecommunications - Telecommunications companies can benefit from the adoption of femtocells to enhance their coverage offerings.
2. Landline Phone - Landline phone companies have an opportunity to bundle femtocells with DSL internet to create value-added services.
3. Electronics Manufacturing - Electronics manufacturers can explore integrating femtocells into their devices, like DSL modems, to enhance connectivity.