Co-founded in 2011 by Cissy DeLuca and Analisa Hightower, Bersatu Designs is a social business that offers down-to-earth jewelry -- everything from snakeskin wrap bracelets to boho bead necklaces to vibrantly colored clutches and elegant pearl earrings.
At the core of the company is "Bersatu," which mean "united" in Bahasa Indonesian. By working with otherwise unemployed Indonesian women, the company provides tools, training and materials for their employees.
DeLuca, who lives in Indonesia now, became inspired to start the business after visiting the country in 2009 and observing how many women had employable skills, but no employment. "She became aware of the craftmanship skills of some of her neighbors after learning they made leather straps for sandals, but for a very small wage," the Bersatu website reads. "The opportunity to directly impact the lives of those around her seemed to present itself."
Bersatu Designs website
Bersatu Designs on Facebook
Bersatu Designs on Twitter
'Bersatu Designs' is a Social Business Employing Women
1. Social Business Empowering Women - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore ways to create businesses that provide employment and empowerment to marginalized women.
2. Artisan Jewelry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop innovative techniques and materials that add value to artisanal jewelry, enhancing its appeal in the market.
3. Sustainable Fashion - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate sustainable practices into the fashion industry to address social and environmental challenges associated with production.
1. Fashion - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Embrace sustainable practices and empower marginalized communities through inclusive employment opportunities.
2. Social Entrepreneurship - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create businesses that prioritize social impact and economic empowerment, contributing to a more equitable society.
3. Women's Empowerment - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop initiatives and collaborations that support women's economic empowerment, fostering gender equality and social progress.