This infographic from CBC and the National Reading Campaign shows the benefits of reading. In addition to improving vocabulary and resetting creativity, on average readers also have better empathy, physical and mental health. According to the infographic, reading just six minutes a day can decrease stress levels by 60% and is more effecting at reducing stress than listening to music, drinking tea, going for a walk or playing video games. There is also a social good component, where readers are more likely to donate to charity and volunteer their time compared to non-readers.
While it is generally accepted that there are numerous benefits of reading, this infographic does a good job at visually representing the positives for those who prefer picture books.
This CBC Books Infographic Displays the Many Benefits of Reading
1. Reading for Empathy - Developing empathy through reading can be a disruptive innovation opportunity in education and mental health industries.
2. Reading for Mental Health - Promoting reading as a stress-reducing activity can be a disruptive innovation opportunity in the wellness and technology industries.
3. Social Good Through Reading - Leveraging reading as a tool for social good can be a disruptive innovation opportunity in the publishing and non-profit industries.
1. Education - Integrating reading for empathy in school curriculum can be a way to reshape education industry.
2. Wellness - Collaborating with reading apps and programs for mental wellness can evolve the wellness industry.
3. Publishing - Highlighting the social good aspect of reading can create new avenues for the publishing industry.