‘Amazon Unpacked’ by Ben Roberts is a culturally compelling series that examines the effects of the retail giant. Roberts photos accompanied an article in the Financial Times Weekend Magazine that investigates the powerful impact of a recently opened branch in Rugeley, UK.
Amazon has responded to scrutiny by advocating the amount of job opportunity they have to offer, especially in such an uncertain financial climate. However, the jobs are moving from regular stores (which Amazon is slowly pushing out of business) to gigantic warehouse settings, which are the focal point of Roberts's series.
The warehouse itself is enormous, filled with copious, seemingly never-ending rows of shelves. The series captures the daunting material excess and sense of monotony, leaving the doors open for social commentary.
Amazon Unpacked Reveals the Retailers Behind the Scenes
1. Job Opportunity Shift - Disruptive innovation opportunity lies in creating new job opportunities in the warehouse and logistics industry as traditional retail stores decline.
2. Gigantic Warehouse Settings - Opportunities for disruptive innovation include developing advanced automation and robotics technologies to optimize and streamline warehouse operations.
3. Material Excess Awareness - Disruptive innovation can be found in creating sustainable and eco-friendly solutions to reduce material waste and promote responsible consumption.
1. Warehouse and Logistics - The warehouse and logistics industry presents disruptive innovation opportunities in the areas of automation, robotics, and operational efficiency.
2. Retail - Disruptive innovation opportunities within the retail industry include the development of new business models, such as online marketplaces or experiential retail concepts.
3. Sustainability - The sustainability industry can capitalize on disruptive innovation by finding ways to reduce material waste and increase eco-friendly practices in the retail and logistics sectors.