Eric Wilhelm founded Instructables, a collection of step-by-step ‘how to’ guides. Thanks to Wilhelm and a collective of dedicated DIY fans, you can learn how to create things you didn’t even know you wanted.
Eric Wilhelm recently talked to us about the role trend hunting plays in his work with Instructables.
12 Questions with Eric Wilhelm
1. How did you get involved with Instructables and what motivates you to continue?
I started the company: Instructables.
2. How significant are the topics of cool hunting and trend spotting to Instructables?
Not at all.
3. How do you define a trend?
I don’t have a personal definition. Standard English will do.
4. How do you define cool?
Something that makes me want to use it, do it myself, or possibly just smile.
5. Do you need a culture of innovation to create something that is cool?
6. What is the best way to create an infectious idea, product or service?
Create something you yourself will buy.
7. What is the key to innovation?
Ideas are easy; execution is what matters.
8. What is the most important trend you see in your industry?
Better broadband access for more people.
9. What are your ambitions for Instructables?
To inspire everyone who comes to the site to start or finish their own project.
10. How do you reset yourself to be creative? Do you have any rituals?
Long bike rides; kitesurfing.
11. Professionally, what do you want to be doing in 10 years?
Continue having a blurred distinction between business and fun.
12. What are your most important hobbies?
Home renovation, experimental cooking, kitesurfing.
Stats for Eric Wilhelm, Founder of Instructables (INTERVIEW)
Trending: Older & Chilly
Research: 1,551 clicks in 356 w
Interest: 4 minutes
Concept: Eric Wilhelm, Founder Of Instructables (INTERVIEW)
Related: 62 examples / 48 photos
Segment: Neutral, 18-55
Comparison Set: 23 similar articles, including: upgraded hotel points programs, rejuvenated office spaces, and cozy reading pavilions.
Rejuvenated Office Spaces
Upgraded Hotel Points Programs
Cozy Reading Pavilions
Body-Tracking VR Systems
Passenger-Transporting Truck Concepts