Talja is a wood carving kit that hopes to unglue smartphones from people's hands in an attempt to enjoy a traditional pastime that will reconnect them with their own thoughts. Mindless yet thoughtful, quiet yet artistic, the art of woodcarving is something that modern people could benefit from. The wood carving kit offers a productive sense of meditation many will be attracted to.
Handmade by Jakob Nielsen, the wood carving kit is comprised of a knife, sandpaper, wood and oil. Available in two version, this set would make a great gift for the holiday season. Nielsen writes that it will "get people to spend a little less time in front of a small (or big) screen, and to enjoy the rewarding feeling of creating something physical with your bare hands, something real. We see it as creative meditation."
Talja by Jakob Nielsen Encourages People to Take Up a Creative Pastime
1. Rediscovering Traditional Crafts - Offering modern people a chance to disconnect from technology and find joy in creating something physical and real.
2. Productive Meditation - Providing an opportunity for people to quiet their minds and focus on a tangible project that offers a sense of accomplishment and purpose.
3. Simplicity and Mindfulness - Encouraging people to find peace and satisfaction in a mindful activity that requires few tools and minimal distractions.
1. Crafting Supplies - Opportunities for creating and marketing simplified and user-friendly craft kits for adults looking to unwind and rediscover traditional crafts.
2. Meditation Tools - Creating tools and resources that combine traditional crafting with the principles of meditation and mindfulness.
3. E-commerce - Reinventing e-commerce platforms that offer unique and curated products focusing on simplicity, creativity, and self-care for the modern consumer.