The concept of tortoise hibernation in refrigerators is the brainchiled of Shirley Neely, employed at the Tortoise Sanctuary in New Jersey.
The tortoises hibernate for up to three months during the winter, in temperatures that are easily maintained by typical fridges.
The only difference between the usual scene of sleeping tortoises and the picture shown here, is that normally the shells are wrapped in tea towels.
Refrigerator doors are opened daily to allow fresh air to enter the hibernation chamber.
Tortoise Hibernation Fridges
1. Animal Hibernation Technology - Develop new technologies to safely hibernate and preserve animals in captivity or in the wild.
2. Smart Animal Habitats - Create innovative habitats for animals that provide optimal temperature, humidity, and lighting conditions needed for their wellbeing.
3. Eco-friendly Animal Conservation Practices - Incorporate sustainability practices and green technologies to reduce the carbon footprint of animal sanctuaries.
1. Zoos and Aquariums - With smart habitats and hibernation technology, zoos and aquariums can create more natural and comfortable living conditions for animals and improve their conservation efforts.
2. Wildlife Sanctuaries - Eco-friendly practices can help wildlife sanctuaries reduce their environmental impact and become more sustainable while protecting endangered species.
3. Pet Products and Services - Pet owners can benefit from advanced technologies that provide optimal living conditions for their pets, including hibernation technology and smart habitats.