This is a viral email going around. I checked and it is absolutely true and shows the pitfalls of poor url planning!
The following eight companies were fairly literal about transposing their brands to their url name. Unfortunately for them, in the English language, words quickly change meaning when the spaces are removed. Here is the recap:
1. A company named 'Who Represents' lets you find the name of the agent that represents celebrities. Maybe appropriately, the website is www.whorepresents.com
2. A knowledge base for programmers is called 'Experts Exchange." Programmers, not being known for their branding prowess, chose this URL:
3. For the ultimate selection in pens from around the world, you need to visit 'Pen Island'. It can be found at...
4. One of the best online resources for finding a therapist in your neighborhood is 'Therapist Finder.' Hopefully the therapists aren't as scary as the name implies:
5. We all know the rumor about Italian guys and their specific genetic endowments, but this Italian power company takes it a little too far:
6.'IP computer' software gives you the freedom to go just about anywhere...
7. I really really feel sorry for 'The First Cumming Methodist Church.' Not the greatest name to begin with, but this website makes it all the worse:
8. There are some great designers at 'Speed of Art' and their work has nothing to do with either swimwear or Mexican food.
A final message to anyone starting their own company. Think twice before you buy that URL.
Also see my related post on the "phrase URL" trend.
8 Utterly Embarassing URL's
More Stats +/-
Healthy Prepackaged Pasta Pairings
Collectible Egg Carton Toys
Social Media-Inspired Terrarium Shops
Adaptogenic Mushroom Cafes
30 Consumption-Reducing Innovations