The Toina Abel line of basket-like purses is reflective of a long history of handmade reed weaving. Designer Nuno Henriques aims to preserve the authentic manner of production that has been central to the Portuguese village of Castanheira for generations, hence his development of the highly traditional line.
In addition to the historical value present in these Toina Abel pieces, they are also remarkably intricate and avant-garde. Advanced levels of intricacy are present within swaths of purple, red, green yellow and pink, making for mesmerizing kaleidoscope-like shapes and patterns.
Despite the customary elements that are tied to basket weaving, the practice may soon fade away as younger generations become more predominant. Today however Henriques is respecting the long standing legacy.
The Toino Abel Nuno Henriques Bags Are Made in an Authentic Manner
1. Handmade Reed Weaving - Opportunity to innovate with modern designs and materials while preserving traditional craftsmanship.
2. Intricate and Avant-garde Purses - Potential for disruptive innovation by combining complex designs and traditional techniques with new materials and technology.
3. Preserving Traditional Craftsmanship - Potential for disruptive innovation by developing new ways to engage younger generations in the practice of traditional basket weaving.
1. Fashion Accessories - Opportunity to create unique and culturally significant handmade purses that appeal to consumers seeking authenticity and craftsmanship.
2. Art and Design - Opportunity for artists and designers to collaborate with traditional artisans to create innovative and visually striking pieces.
3. Heritage and Cultural Preservation - Potential to support and promote traditional crafts to ensure their continuation and cultural value in the modern world.