Adolescents often feel misrepresented, misunderstood and overall mis-everything, but The Teenage Gaze photo series hopes to shed some light by showing life through the eyes of young girls. Quiet and candid, there is a sense of waiting that is often associated with this age group. It's Nice That lists: 'Waiting for a lift, waiting for your friends to get ready, waiting to be legally allowed to buy alcohol, waiting for someone to have a crush on you.'
Shot by Petra Collins, who shot the similarly named 'The Female Gaze' series, The Teenage Gaze is quite powerful. It hints at both the good and bad parts of a person's glory day in as real a way as possible. From smoking to gossiping and roaming the halls of school, the scenes are arresting.
The Teenage Gaze by Petra Collins Explores Life Through Youthful Eyes
1. Youthful Photography - There is an opportunity to explore the world through the eyes of young people in photography and media.
2. Authentic Representation - There is a growing demand for authentic and honest representation of adolescent experiences in media and advertising.
3. Empowering Adolescents - There is potential for empowering adolescent girls by giving them a voice and representation in media and art.
1. Photography - Photographers can cater to the growing demand for authentic representation of adolescent experiences.
2. Media - Media companies can empower young people by giving them a voice and representation in programming and advertising.
3. Art - Artists can explore adolescence and the teenage experience in their work, creating a platform for authentic representation and discussion.