Researchers from the MIT CASAIL lab developed an RFocus 'smart surface,' which could be used to boost a WiFi signal. The 'smart surface' is able to act as both a mirror and a lens, which can send radio signals to a device on another side of the device. When a WiFi signal passes through the device, it is able to increase the signal by 10 times its original strength.
The prototype is comprised of 3,000 small antennas, that ware equipped with software tho arranges and optimizes a signal. The antennas are cost-effective and are listed at approximately a few cents for one antenna. Currently, there is no time table for the device to be commercially available.
Image Credit: Jason Dorfman/ MIT CSAIL
MIT Researchers Created a 'Smart Surface' Which Can Enhance WiFi Signals
1. Smart Surfaces for Signal Boosting - The trend towards smart surfaces that enhance and optimize signal strength will create new opportunities for manufacturers of communication devices.
2. Cost-effective Antenna Solutions - As new antenna technologies emerge, there will be a growing trend towards cost-effective antenna solutions for both commercial and consumer applications.
3. Optimizing Radio Signal Performance - The demand for improving radio signal performance will continue to drive innovation and create new market opportunities for optimization software solutions.
1. Telecommunications - The telecommunications industry will benefit from the development of smart surfaces that can enhance signal strength for wireless devices.
2. Consumer Electronics - Consumer electronics manufacturers will benefit from cost-effective antenna solutions that can be incorporated into their products to increase performance.
3. Software and Technology - Software and technology companies will benefit from the demand for optimization solutions that can help improve radio signal performance across various industries.