Each year since 1974, Nikon has held a competition for the best light microscope pictures. The top 10 pictures are shown here from the 2008 competition. Entries included pictures of anything from unicellular organisms to manmade objects. The resulting photographs taken by scientists showcase the beauty of small worlds seen only with the aid of a microscope.
The top ten pictures (in order) were:
1. diatoms (unicellular organisms)
2. carbon nanotubes
3. Convallaria majalis (Lily of the Valley)
4. Dictyostelium discoideum (unicellular organism)
5. Japanese specialty paper fibers
6. Chrysolina fastuosa (Micro leaf beetle) on a pin head
7. Mitomycin (anti-cancer drug)
8. Crystallized mixture of resorcinal, methylene blue, and sulphur
9. Detail of compact disc
10.Orchestia gammarella (sand hopper)
More Stats +/-
DinoLite USB Portable Digital Microscope
UltraRich, UberGeek Gift Ideas
Look at Your Sperm
Cell Phone Microscopes
Portable Digital Microscope
Free 2018 Report & eBook
Get the top 100 trends happening right NOW -- plus a FREE copy of our award-winning book.
Our Research Methodology
This article is one of 350,000 experiments. We use crowd filtering, big data and AI to identify insights.