NZDating is an internet dating site based in New Zealand. They chose to display their service on the back of buses, which ran in a loop together. The concept makes sense when the buses are together (Bus 1 - "find perfect" Bus 2 - "you match"), but the message gets lost when they are not in close proximity to each other. (GUSH Magazine)
Implications - With traditional means of advertising over saturating the market and becoming negligible, marketers must find more inventive ways to garner the attention of their potential customers. Publicity stunts such as the NZDating bus represents a shift from conventional marketing to events-based occurrences that generate media attention by being newsworthy.
1. Events-based Marketing - Marketers must find inventive ways to garner attention by creating newsworthy event-based occurrences instead of traditional advertising.
2. Non-traditional Advertising - As traditional advertising methods saturate the market, brands need to look for non-conventional ways to gain customer attention.
3. Disruptive Publicity Stunts - Creating disruptive publicity stunts that generate media attention provides a potential for massive growth in brand awareness.
1. Marketing and Advertising - As traditional advertising methods become less effective, marketers must innovate to find new ways to reach their target audience.
2. Transportation - By embracing advertising on buses, companies in transportation industry have the opportunity to gain new revenue streams.
3. Online Dating - By exploring innovative ways to advertise, online dating companies have an opportunity to stand out in a crowded market.