Based out of the UK, psychotherapist and photographer Sian Davey is working on an ongoing photographic project to document her daughter's life with down syndrome. Davey started 'Finding Alice' to overcome her shock and anxiety over parenting what society deems an 'imperfect' child.
The beautiful portraits show the dynamics of their everyday family life, including shots of Alice sleeping on the couch with her sister and frolicking in a field. The project's description on Davey's website explains how the mother came to overcome her own prejudices and fall in love with her daughter. The result is emotion-evoking photographs that allow us to do the same while scrolling through the various images of this lovely little girl and her life with down syndrome. The series demonstrates how Alice is no different from any other child.
This Touching Photography Documents Life with Down Syndrome
1. Inclusive Photography - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop photography projects that showcase the beauty and everyday life of individuals with disabilities, promoting inclusion and breaking stereotypes.
2. Empathy-driven Media - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create media content that fosters empathy and understanding towards individuals with disabilities, challenging societal perceptions and promoting acceptance.
3. Parent Advocacy - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Support and empower parents of children with disabilities by providing resources, networks, and advocacy platforms to navigate societal challenges and promote social change.
1. Photography - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop inclusive and diverse photography programs, workshops, and campaigns that celebrate the beauty of all individuals, regardless of ability.
2. Media and Entertainment - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create inclusive and authentic media content that reflects the diversity of society, challenging stereotypes and fostering understanding and acceptance.
3. Parent Support Services - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Build online platforms, communities, and services that cater to the specific needs of parents raising children with disabilities, offering support, resources, and advocacy tools.