It's a well-known fat — er, fact — that Americans can get a little carried away in terms of Halloween candy consumption. But do you really know just how far the obsession with this October holiday goes?
From kids eating the equivalent of 13 Big Macs worth of candy, to bizarre local laws (you can get fined $1,000 in Illinois for trick or treating over the age of 13), the facts in this infographic explore the darker side of candy consumption habits.
Some of the highlights include facts such as that consumers spend over $330 million per year on Halloween costumes...for their pets, and that America's entire candy spend is higher than the GDP of Zimbabwe.
This Infographic Explains Halloween Candy Consumption
1. Increased Halloween Candy Consumption - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop healthier Halloween candy options to cater to health-conscious consumers while still providing a festive treat.
2. Rise of Pet Costumes - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create innovative and stylish pet costumes to meet the growing demand for dressing up pets during Halloween.
3. Growing Halloween Expenditure - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Offer affordable and sustainable Halloween costume options to tap into the expanding market and cater to cost-conscious consumers.
1. Candy Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop alternative ingredients or manufacturing processes to create healthier and more sustainable candies that align with consumer preferences.
2. Pet Retail - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introduce a range of innovative and comfortable pet costumes to capitalize on the growing trend of dressing up pets during Halloween.
3. Costume Retail - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Design and manufacture affordable, eco-friendly, and customizable Halloween costumes to cater to the increasing demand for sustainable and unique options.