Thanks to the academic journal/blog 'Gaga Stigmata: Critical Writings and Art About Lady Gaga,' Lady Gaga is officially thesis material. Started by poet Kate Durbin and doctoral student Meghan Vicks, the project aims to have you take Gaga seriously because, as Durbin says, "Pop matters."
This isn't as strange as you think, as Pop Culture Studies, Cultural Studies and Communication Studies are serious academic programs that critically examine the effect of, say, Beyonce's booty on our culture. If all goes well, Vicks and Durbin plan to turn their blog entries from 'Gaga Stigmata' into a book.
'Gaga Stigmata' is a Critical Analysis of Lionized Lady Gaga
1. Pop Culture Studies - The trend of examining pop culture in academic programs presents an opportunity for disruptive innovation in creating new courses that explore the impact of current pop culture trends on society.
2. Critical Analysis of Popular Figures - The trend of creating critical analysis of popular figures like Lady Gaga through academic projects provides an opportunity for disruptive innovation in supporting the creation of more academic materials analyzing the impact of public figures on society.
3. Academic Journals/blogs - The trend towards academic blogs and journals like 'Gaga Stigmata' provides an opportunity for disruptive innovation in creating more specialized academic platforms that appeal to niche audiences with similar interests.
1. Higher Education - The Higher Education industry can leverage the trend of pop culture studies by creating new programs, degrees, and courses exploring the impact of pop culture and public personalities on society.
2. Publishing - The Publishing industry can capitalize on the trend of critical analysis of popular figures by publishing more materials, such as books and journals, that examine the impact of public figures on society from an academic perspective.
3. Online Media - The Online Media industry can use the trend of academic blogs and journals to create more online platforms that provide specialized content on niche topics that appeal to specific audiences.