Rachael Wise creates horrifying fairy tale illustrations as she modernizes them to take on a blunt, pessimistic edge. The cartoon sketches taint any lovely memories that you may have of your favorite tales, but also stay true to the horror theme that original fairy tales are known for.
Classic stories such as 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'Peter Pan' are taken and rearranged so that they show the brutal nature of contemporary society with a negative outlook. In the 'Peter Pan' sketch, Rachel Wise comments on plastic surgery saying: "The advancements in cosmetic surgery meant Peter never really had to grow up at all...". The image shows Peter being injected with a needle as surgical lines dot his face. This is a reality we are seeing, but Wise uses her fairy tale illustrations to bring about the horrors of contemporary culture and society.
The Fairy Tale Illustrations by Wise Will Taint Your Best Memories
1. Contemporary Fairy Tale Illustrations - Rachael Wise's fairy tale illustrations bring a horror-filled modern twist to classic stories, creating a trend for artists to follow.
2. Dark Modernization of Classic Tales - Wise's blunt and pessimistic reimagining of classic fairy tales trends towards a cultural shift from nostalgia to realism.
3. Social Commentary in Cartoon Sketches - Wise's use of fairy tale illustrations to depict negative aspects of society will trend towards an increase of social commentary artwork.
1. Art - The trend towards contemporary fairy tale illustrations creates a sub-industry for artists who can blur the lines between traditional and modern artwork.
2. Publishing - The demand for reimagined classic tales in a modern society will lead to an increase in publications with contemporary storylines.
3. Entertainment - As the fairy tale illustrations move toward social commentary, there will be an uptick in demand for television shows and movies with a modernized, darker tone.