Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, and now they are a treasure hunter’s dream come true. If you thought that digging your own diamonds was impossible, you are wrong. Put away your metal detector, climb in your car and take a trip to the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, Arkansas. Yes, Arkansas.
The only conflict you can expect with these diamonds is an argument over when to take the next bathroom break. Crater of Diamonds State Park is the only public diamond mining facility in the world. Their policy on the treasures you unearth? Good, old fashioned finders keepers! Yes, you read that properly. If you dig it up, it is yours.
Recently, a man from Flint, Michigan walked away with a 4.68 white diamond. That’s only the beginning. The largest diamond to be found in the area? A whopping 34.25 carats. Take that, Elizabeth Taylor!
Digging For Carats in Arkansas
1. Public Diamond Mining - The trend of public diamond mining is disrupting the traditional mining industry and presenting opportunities for experiential tourism.
2. Finders Keepers - The 'finders keepers' approach adopted by the Crater of Diamonds State Park is disrupting the traditional diamond mining industry's ownership and distribution model and could present opportunities for other natural resource industries to follow suit.
3. Experiential Tourism - The trend for experiential tourism that offers unique activities and opportunities such as public diamond mining is disrupting the traditional tourism industry and could present opportunities for other unique and niche experiences.
1. Mining Industry - The public diamond mining trend is disrupting the traditional diamond mining industry model and presenting new opportunities for innovative approaches to mining, ownership and distribution.
2. Tourism Industry - The experiential tourism trend that includes unique activities such as public diamond mining is disrupting the traditional tourism industry and presenting opportunities for more niche and unique experiences to be developed and offered.
3. Natural Resources Industry - The 'finders keepers' approach adopted by the Crater of Diamonds State Park could disrupt the traditional ownership and distribution model for other natural resources industries, presenting opportunities for alternative approaches to be explored.