Cairo’s sound pollution is not a typical muse, but Daniel Dendra used the noise of the city’s streets to make this artistic table. By placing microphones at various intersections and then combining the recordings, he created this cityscape-turned-coffee table.
The table surface has a flat side and the cityscape side. With the cityscape side up, the table is not functional. Daniel Dendra considers this a metaphor. The bumps and crevices representing the sound pollution make the table unusable, and he compares this experience to being a pedestrian in the city.
Sound pollution is often not taken as seriously as chemical pollution. However, anyone who’s lived on top of a nightclub knows that quality of life goes down tremendously when noise is inescapable.
Daniel Dendra Uses Cairo Sound Pollution to Design Table
1. Sound Pollution Artistry - Artists and designers are using the negative impact of sound pollution as a source of inspiration to create unique pieces such as furniture and home decor.
2. Functional Cityscape Design - Designers are creating functional pieces of furniture and decor that incorporate cityscape elements, such as the bumps and crevices of sound polluted landscapes.
3. Noise Pollution Awareness - As people become more aware of the negative impact of noise pollution on their quality of life, there is a growing need for companies and individuals to implement noise-reducing measures and products.
1. Home Furnishings - Home furnishing companies have an opportunity to create unique pieces that incorporate cityscape elements, while also addressing the issue of noise pollution by creating sound-absorbing furniture.
2. Architecture - Architectural firms can incorporate sound-absorbing materials and designs into their building plans to address the issue of noise pollution in urban areas, while also creating visually striking designs.
3. Environmental Technology - There is a need for companies to develop innovative noise-reducing technologies to address the issue of noise pollution in urban areas, creating a healthier and more enjoyable living environment.