The Circum Lamp looks like quite the futuristic feature; however, the principles behind its versatility are really quite basic. This, of course, should not take away from its clever design.
Daniel Liss chose a ring form for his light fixture, but he extracted a segment to embed LED lights in one end. The whole of the C-shaped device is relatively evenly weighted, so a unique balancing system was integrated. Five dimples can be found along the inside of the incomplete hoop and a single metal ball bearing fits nicely into one at a time.
Depending on which indent you fill with the weight, the crescent will take a different angled position. With this setup, the Circum Lamp can direct its rays downwards or upwards for either focused or spread out illumination, respectively.
The Circum Lamp Rolls Back and Forth to Offer Direct or Diffuse Beams
1. Versatile Light Fixtures - The Circum Lamp's unique balancing system for directed or diffuse beams presents opportunities for designing other versatile light fixtures.
2. Innovative LED Lighting - The Circum Lamp's use of embedded LED lights in a segment of a ring shape presents opportunities for innovative LED lighting designs.
3. Smart Balancing System - The Circum Lamp's balancing system offers an opportunity for further development of smart balancing mechanisms in products beyond lighting fixtures.
1. Lighting - The unique design of the Circum Lamp presents opportunities for innovation in the lighting industry to create versatile, multifunctional light fixtures.
2. Home Decor - The Circum Lamp's futuristic and innovative design offers opportunities for designing other unique and stylish home decor products.
3. Product Design - The Circum Lamp's clever and simple design presents opportunities for further development of product design that balances form and function effectively.