UBC Media Group has developed a technology that will allow mobile phone users to buy any song playing on a radio station by the tough of a button. The proposed service uses the same technology to deliver digital radio to 3m sets in the UK, with mobile phones containing the necessary chips expected to be on the market soon. A trial of this technology will begin soon in the Birmingham area, with a full consumer launch to follow in a year. UBC's has teamed up with the Chrysalis radio group and technology firms to launch the new business, which is expected to be worth £93m in six years.
By tuning into "digital radio stations through headphones, listeners will be able to click a "buy" button on their phone and have the track downloaded to their phone. Each track will cost around £1.25, with one copy being transferred to the phone and a second copy made available for download to a computer or iPod-type device."(Guardian Unlimited) At the launch customers will buy pre-paid vouchers that will entitle them £10 or £20 worth of tracks, but future purchases can be billed via their phone or bank account. UBC's intent is not to out do digital players such as the iPod, but rather to live side by side. The losers once again are the record stores. (GUSH Magazine)
1. Mobile Radio Purchases - The technology developed by UBC Media Group allows mobile phone users to buy any song playing on a radio station directly from their device, disrupting traditional music purchasing methods.
2. Digital Radio Technology - UBC's technology enables listeners to tune into digital radio stations through headphones and easily purchase songs, presenting opportunities for integrating digital radio into mobile devices and disrupting traditional radio listening.
3. Convenient Mobile Payment - The ability to bill future music purchases via their phone or bank account creates a disruptive innovation in mobile payment methods, making it easier and more convenient for customers to access and buy music.
1. Mobile Phone Manufacturing - The integration of UBC's technology into mobile phones presents a disruptive opportunity for manufacturers to enhance their products by enabling direct music purchases from radio stations.
2. Digital Radio Broadcasting - The adoption of UBC's technology in digital radio broadcasting opens up disruptive possibilities for radio stations to monetize their content by offering instant song purchases to listeners.
3. Mobile Payment Solutions - The development of UBC's mobile payment system for music purchases offers a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies in the mobile payment industry to expand their services and reach a wider customer base.