We often hear outcries of sexist advertising in the media, however it is usually accusations of being demeaning to women. These new Trojan ads, on the other hand, are pretty demeaning towards men. They essentially show men as pigs and ask them to evolve by using a condom, preferably a Trojan.
The new prints are a continuation of the Evolve campaign that started last year. The idea is still the same: men are pigs who are just out to score with the ladies. However, if they are evolved enough to use a condom, then it’s all good.
I say these ads are sexist because wearing protection is not just a male issue. Females can use condoms too, it’s a two way street, blaming it on men is just too easy.
Sexist Trojan Evolve Campaign (UPDATE)
1. Gender Reversal Ads - Opportunity for brands to use a gender-reversal approach in their advertisements, portraying the opposite gender as the problem and their product as the solution.
2. Inclusive Marketing - Opportunity for inclusive marketing that addresses both genders equally, promoting safe sex practices for everyone.
3. Controversial Marketing - Opportunity for brands to generate buzz with controversial marketing campaigns that challenge traditional gender roles and spark conversation.
1. Contraceptive Industry - Brands can seize the opportunity to promote condoms and other forms of protection for both genders as a way to promote safe sex and reduce STDs.
2. Advertising Industry - Agencies can rethink their approach to advertisements to avoid perpetuating gender stereotypes that can be hurtful and derogatory towards either gender.
3. Feminist Activist Groups - Feminist activists can use these ads to highlight the double standard that exists in society, where men often get a pass while women are held responsible for their own safety and actions.