Toshiba's Smarbo is a self-directed robotic vacuum cleaner -- if the concept sounds familiar, it's because iRobot introduced the idea back in 2002. Toshiba, however, intends to steal the patronage of the famous Roomba's 2.5 million customers with its newer, more intelligent robot.
$1,175 sounds steep for a vacuum cleaner, but is it a fair price for an autonomous household helper? Armed with two processors, a camera and 38 sensors that detect obstacles, the Smarbo is capable of cleaning up a 100 square-meter room in under 90 minutes. Worried about leaving a vacuum on for more than an hour? Toshiba's robot will only suck $0.03 in electricity during the course of a hoovering session. Should you spill some debris on your carpet, you can even program the Smarbo to concentrate on a small area.
The robotic campaign to clean your floor begins on Oct. 1 in Japan, while North Americans have another fiscal quarter in which to pray and prepare themselves.
The Toshiba Smarbo Cleans Up House So You Don't Have To
1. Autonomous Vacuums - Opportunity for disruptive innovation lies in developing more intelligent and efficient autonomous vacuums with advanced sensors and capabilities.
2. Robotic Cleaning Technology - The advancement of robotic cleaning technology presents opportunities for disruptive innovation in creating smarter and more effective household cleaning solutions.
3. Smart Home Appliances - The integration of autonomous vacuum cleaners, like the Toshiba Smarbo, into smart home systems offers opportunities for disruptive innovation in the home automation industry.
1. Robotics - The robotics industry can explore disruptive innovation in the development of more advanced and intelligent robot cleaners for various household chores.
2. Home Appliance - The home appliance industry can leverage disruptive innovation by incorporating autonomous cleaning technology into a wider range of household appliances.
3. Smart Home - The smart home industry has the potential for disruptive innovation by integrating autonomous cleaning robots into comprehensive home automation systems.