A group of students at UC Berkeley designed a smart device that uses a chair's rocking motion to produce energy. Dubbed the 'Volta,' this smart chair was designed as part of an effort to improve our standard seating through electronic, mechanical and software changes.
The Volta works by harnessing the rocking motion produced by someone sitting in the chair. When the chair begins to rock, it causes the pendulum underneath to begin swinging. The pendulum subsequently actives a series of gears that turn a small motor. This motor is attached to a set of batteries that can be used to power any electronics that are attached to the chair. After a series of tests, the students found that the chair can actually charge a device with nearly the same effectiveness as a conventional wall plug.
The 'Volta' Harnesses the Power of a Chair's Rocking Motion
1. Energy-generating Furniture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop smart furniture that harnesses motion to produce energy for electronic devices.
2. Sustainable Seating Solutions - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create seating options that not only provide comfort but also generate power through user movement.
3. Smart Chair Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporate electronic, mechanical, and software changes in chairs to enhance functionality and energy efficiency.
1. Furniture Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate energy-generating technology into furniture designs to meet the growing demand for sustainable living.
2. Smart Home Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the integration of energy-generating chairs in smart home systems to enhance overall energy efficiency.
3. Consumer Electronics - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Collaborate with chair manufacturers to develop electronic devices powered by energy-generating chairs, providing a unique selling point for consumers.