Like many other boys his age, 16-year old Blake Peebles loves to play Guitar Hero; unlike other boys his age, his parents let him quit school to focus on playing the popular video game competitively. After complaining endlessly to his parents that attending private school was a waste of time, the Peebles let Blake drop out--under the condition that he continue his education with private tutors.
Top gamers can earn more than $80K a year if they sign a lucrative contract with Major League Gaming. Most competitive gamers, however, make between $20K-$30K. Terry Lindle, a 23-year-old competitive gamer from Illinois quoted in a profile on Peebles for The News & Observer, estimates that his total gaming career pay is $25,000.
Incidentally, Peebles owns no real guitars and doesn’t know how to play a stringed guitar. He doesn’t need to. This video clip is posted from Peebles’ Ustream.tv page.
Kid Drops Out of High School to Focus on Guitar Hero
1. Competitive Video Gaming - The rise in popularity of competitive video gaming tournaments presents opportunities for innovative businesses to create new revenue streams within this industry.
2. Alternative Education - The Peebles case highlights the growing demand for alternative education options that can accommodate students' interests and skills.
3. Influencer Marketing - Top gamers with large followings, such as Peebles, open up new avenues for influencer marketing to reach younger audiences and capitalize on their engagement.
1. Education - Education industry players can benefit from exploring alternative education offerings that cater to students' skills and passions.
2. Video Game Industry - The increasing demand for competitive video gaming provides a prime opportunity for businesses within the video game industry to create new products and revenue streams.
3. Marketing and Advertising - Influencer marketing through social media platforms and live streaming channels can be a disruptive innovation to reach younger audiences, leveraging top gamers such as Peebles who have large followings.