Behold, a $44, affordable wheelchair. I've never purchased a wheelchair, but my bet would be that the chair are over-priced and not affordable for those without insurance. Like all things in the medicare world, fat insurance programs drive the costs of pretty much everything to exorbitant levels. Luckily, this fuels creative alternatives, like the following.
As Gizmodo describes, "Mechanical engineer Don Schoendorfer decided to help the world with this problem, setting up the Free Wheelchair Mission in California, which makes this extremely affordable, garden-variety wheelchair with plastic chair, for under $50."
1. Affordable Wheelchairs - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop new technologies and manufacturing processes to create even more affordable wheelchairs.
2. Creative Alternatives in Healthcare - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore and invest in innovative solutions that address the high costs of healthcare products and services.
3. Accessible Medical Equipment - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Design and produce medical equipment that is accessible and affordable for individuals without insurance.
1. Healthcare Equipment Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Streamline manufacturing processes and materials to reduce the costs of healthcare equipment.
2. Nonprofit Healthcare Organizations - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Collaborate with nonprofits to develop affordable healthcare solutions for underserved populations.
3. Insurance and Healthcare Financing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore alternative models and strategies to reduce the costs of healthcare and insurance.