Remember last December when we found Fulla the Muslim Barbie? Well it didn't take long for the Orthodox Jewish Prayer Barbie to follow. It's all good, but I've already ordered the Vincent Van Gogh Action Figure, and I'm happy with that!
However, as hip as the Jewish Orthodox Prayer Barbie seems, one Boing Boing reader suggests the doll is not accurate, "Strictly speaking, Orthodox Jewish women don't wear teffilin or tallit during prayer; in fact, many Orthodox Jews object strongly to the trend in the more liberal branches of Judaism permitting/encouraging women to do so. Since laying tefillin and wearing tallit is much more common with Conservative than Reform Jews, the post should probably be titled 'Progressive Conservative Jewish Prayer Barbie'."
1. Religious-themed Dolls - The popularity of religious-themed dolls, such as Fulla the Muslim Barbie and Orthodox Jewish Prayer Barbie, presents an opportunity for toy companies to innovate and expand their offerings.
2. Controversial Toys - The controversy surrounding the accuracy and appropriateness of dolls like Orthodox Jewish Prayer Barbie showcases a potential market for edgy or attention-grabbing toys.
3. Dolls for Cultural Representation - The creation of dolls that represent different cultures and religions, such as Orthodox Jewish Prayer Barbie, shows the demand for a broader range of cultural representation in the toy industry.
1. Toy - The toy industry can leverage the success of religious-themed dolls, like Orthodox Jewish Prayer Barbie, to expand their toy offerings, attract diverse audiences and increase sales.
2. Religious Products - The success of Orthodox Jewish Prayer Barbie, as well as Fulla the Muslim Barbie, demonstrate the potential for religious products to enter the mainstream market.
3. Marketing and Advertising - The controversy over the accuracy and appropriateness of Orthodox Jewish Prayer Barbie suggests an opportunity for marketing and advertising professionals to create campaigns that cater to niche audiences while raising awareness of cultural sensitivity.