Historically, the issue with hybrid cars is that they just aren't fast. However, in March, we featured the VW Ecoracer Hybrid Car which raced 0 to 60 in 6.3 seconds. Respectable. Then, we featured a Hybrid Made by High School Students that went 0-60 in 4 seconds... VERY respectable. Now, the new Tesla Roadster takes things to a new level. The Tesla Roadster can rocket from 0-60 in just 3 seconds.
Wired explains that the 'trick' of the Tesla is that it relies on 6,831 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, "The first cars will be built at a factory in England and are slated to hit the market next summer. And Tesla Motors, Eberhard's company, is already gearing up for a four-door battery-powered sedan."
Tesla Roadster Rockets 0-60 in 3 Seconds
1. Fast Hybrid Cars - The trend of hybrid cars becoming faster and faster is disrupting the traditional notion of slow hybrids.
2. Rechargeable Lithium-ion Batteries - The trend of using rechargeable lithium-ion batteries in cars is opening up new opportunities for energy-efficient transportation.
3. Battery-powered Sedans - The trend of developing battery-powered sedans is disrupting the market for traditional gasoline-powered vehicles.
1. Automotive - The automotive industry is experiencing disruptive innovation opportunities as fast hybrid cars and battery-powered sedans gain popularity.
2. Energy Storage - The energy storage industry is being disrupted as rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are increasingly used in various applications, including car manufacturing.
3. Electric Vehicle - The electric vehicle industry is being transformed by the trend of using rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and developing faster hybrid cars.