At just $14.95, this fruit powered clock isn't the most expensive holiday gift, but it is a pretty cool conversation piece. The idea stems from the idea that Alessandro Volta invented the battery based on experiments with lemon juice over 200 years ago.
Buy it at the Science eStore, which describes the clock as follows, "A digital clock and calendar powered by food! This fruit powered digital clock and calendar combines micro-electronic technology with the natural electrical potential of a fresh fruit or vegetable. The Fruit Clock uses the original scientific principles on which all modern electrical storage batteries are based. Just add a fresh orange, apple, lemon, lime, pear, banana, or any another convenient fruit or vegetable to the supplied components in this kit and you have the perfect synthesis of nature’s own electrical power resource and the accuracy of a digital clock."
Plug Your Alarm Clock Into An Orange
1. Fruit-powered Technology - Embrace a greener approach to technology by exploring the potential of fruit-powered gadgets and appliances.
2. Food-based Energy Storage Systems - Devise solutions for a more eco-friendly and sustainable energy storage system by taking inspiration from food-based technologies.
3. Nature-inspired Energy Sources - Consider using nature itself as a power source, creating innovative ideas for green energy generation and conservation.
1. Technology - Incorporate fruit-powered technology into existing electronic devices for a more eco-friendly approach.
2. Sustainability - Develop food-based energy storage systems to promote sustainable living and reduce carbon footprints.
3. Agriculture - Explore the potential benefits of using fruits and vegetables as a source of renewable energy in agriculture and farming.